Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Personal Interests - Assignment #5


My current life obsession is triathlon training. Last year I competed in my first season of triathlon races at the sprint distance. A sprint distance triathlon is usually a .5-.75 mile swim, 12 mile bike and a 3.1 mile run. I raced in 6 events last year and absolutely loved it. I have purchased a triathlon bike for this upcoming season and spend much of my free time either training or researching training tips, nutrition information, gear reviews and other athlete’s race reports. This year I am planning on racing in the Pacific Crest Long Course race on June 23. This event will be a 1.2 mile swim, 58 mile bike ride up and back down Mt Bachelor and then a 13.1. mile run through the resort town of Sunriver. I can’t wait!!

Another passion of mine is traveling, although I don’t get to do it nearly as much as I would like. My husband and I are going to Mexico in March and this will be our first solo trip as a couple trying to navigate and survive on our own. In the past we have either had an all-inclusive experience or have traveled with a Spanish speaker so this time we are on our own. I have been spending a lot of time reading information on the Trip Advisor web site to help us plan and be prepared. The forums for Playa del Carmen have been particularly helpful. Hopefully this experience will give us the confidence to plan my dream trip to Thailand and Bali.

Finally, we love food! Portland is an amazing city for great food. The greatest thing is that most of the best restaurants aren’t fine dining establishments. This makes it possible to eat really well for a reasonable price. Some of our favorite restaurants are Por Que No on Hawthorne and Pok Pok on Division. We have a huge list of places still to try and our list of favorites keeps growing. We also love the food cart scene and spend many a sunny afternoon trying out new carts.  

No comments:

Post a Comment